4 cups Bacardi golden rum
4 cups Bacardi 151
6 large oranges peeled and squeezed
3 cups water
3 cups sugar
- Four clean quart mason jars with lids.
- Zest the oranges. You’re trying to get just the zest without very much pith.
- Peel the oranges and separate the peels into four sterilized quart mason jars.
- Squeeze the oranges and strain the juice to remove pulp.
- Boil water and sugar into gomme in a 2 qt pot. Hint: it clears up when it’s ready.
- Add orange juice and the zest to the gomme and separate into the jars and allow to cool completely. You’ll probably have about a pint in each of the jars.
- At this point pour rum in equal amounts to orange mixture. 2 parts orange mixture, 1 part golden rum, 1 part 151. I think that math works out to around 60 proof.
- Close up the jars and store in a dark place for 2 months, until it’s cleared.
- After 2 months, strain mixture through a cheesecloth, then a coffee filter and bottle in sanitized bottles.